Our Location

Students are only minutes away from many interesting locations and from the very centre of London.

Our office hours are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

The Academy is located close to Marble Arch and Paddington.

Full address: 205 Edgware Road, London W2 1ES

Underground Lines

Edgware Road Station: Bakerloo, Metropolitan, Circle and District line

Local Buses

6, 16, 27, 98, 205, 332, 414

Approximate cost for travel in London £40 per week.

Get 30% off the price of adult-rate Travel cards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.

If you're 18 or over, live at a London address during term time, in full-time education, or on a mandatory work placement in London, you may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photo card.

To apply for student photo card please visit TFL website. https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/t...


Comprehensive travel, repatriation, medical and course insurance are an essential part of international study. School fees are not refundable or transferable. We therefore strongly recommend that you take out comprehensive insurance which covers reimbursement of fees.

If you wish to organise medical, travel and course insurance, Edgware Academy has negotiated favourable premiums for its students with the insurance company Guard.me. Guard.me have comprehensive knowledge and practical experience in the field of International Education and Insurance. They have a network of offices around the world that provide an exceptional local service.

Guard.me was awarded Language Travel Magazine's Star Award for ST Leading Star category in 2018.

Before coming to the U.K look at UKCISA http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/ as it has a lot of useful information for international students.

Also look at http://www.ukstudentlife.com/P... for language support with vocabulary found in Visa and immigration rules. It also gives you more information about what you need to do to come to the U.K.

At Immigration


• For information about what happens at immigration look at the ‘On Arrival’ section which explains what happens when you arrive.

• Look at ‘General advice about UK Public Transport’ about how to get from your point of arrival to The Academy or your accommodation.


Established since 1997. The Academy is accredited by The British Accreditation Council and is member of Study UK. We aim to provide high-quality courses at competitive rates.

Arriving - First day

Classes start on Monday (Tuesday, when a Monday is a public holiday). On your first day you will:

  • have a placement test& speaking interview.
  • be given a class suitable to their level of English.
  • be given direction to their classroom.
Leaving - Last day

A certificate will be given at the end of the course to show what level you studied at. Remember:

  • to let reception know one week before your course finish
  • to give us some feedback on your time spent with us (Available in Reception)
  • keep in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter
Lesson Times

You will be given information about what classroom you will study in, the teacher and level after your interview. We will try our best to give you a class at the time you want. Lesson times are:

→ 9.00-12.15am -Morning

→ 12.30-13.30pm -Noon (Skills)

→ 13.45-17.00pm -Afternoon

There is a fifteen minute break during the lesson. Classes are for three hours everyday, fifteen hours per week.

Teaching Methodology & Course Syllabus

• Lessons cover Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening– with a focus on Speaking.

There are more details on our Website or in Part C of the Students Handbook.


We have students from all around the world including Europe, Russia, Asia, Latin America and Africa. Students are sixteen years old and over.

Premises Resources

We have a Student Lounge area with sofas and chairs; internet access and drinks/food machines are available.


New students can view the Induction Program on the screen in the Student Lounge where information about London and Health & Safety will be given.

Attendance & Punctuality

Students are expected to:

  • be in their class on time -If you arrive after 15 minutes you will have to wait until break time to attend your class.
  • attend classes everyday; end of course Certificates will be issued to students with minimum 80% attendance.
  • you MUST contact reception to inform them of any days you are not at school.
Students are expected to:
  • be in class on time for tests.
  • participate fully in all tests.
Social Programme

There is a:

  • Social Programme Organiser.
  • Central Social Notice Board with more detailed information.

It includes:

  • weekly Events Exploring London and all it offers.
  • weekend Trips to Explore England.
  • Many weekly events are free, others can cost between £5-£50.
  • Look at our website for up-to-date information or join our Facebook page.
Student Welfare

Edgware Academy runs an “Open Door” policy where students can raise any concerns regarding their studies and their lives in London with any member of staff they feel comfortable with.

If the complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily by the Academy, the complaint can be followed up independently with either:



We are always available to discuss any problems or concerns you may have during your studies at The Academy.

If you have problem you can talk to:

  • your Teacher
  • the Assistant Director of Studies
  • the Director of Studies
  • the Reception Staff
  • the Managing Director


Visa Students: Registering with the Police

You may need to register with the Police Nationality Department. http://www.ukba.homeo_ce.gov.u... s/appendix2/. Check this link to see if you need to.

Information & Documents required to register with the police:

  • Personal details & the school you study at.
  • How long you are staying in the UK.
  • Your passport & 2 identical passport photographs.
  • Any information or documents from the Home Office.
  • A fee of £34.

Overseas Visitors Records Office: Brandon House, Ground Floor,

80 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1LH, Tel. 020 7230 1208

Open: Mon – Fri 09.00 – 16.30

Closed: Weekends, Public and Bank Holidays

Closest Underground Station: London Bridge & Borough

Your Embassy

Let your embassy know where you live and study. If anything happens while you are in the UK your embassy will be able to help and support you or your family.

Check details http://www.embassyhomepage.com...

Your Health

You should register with a GP's (Doctor’s) Surgery or Health Centre when you arrive in the U.K, you will need to;

  • have a U.K address and proof. (e.g, a bill with your name & address).
  • go to the doctor’s receptionist in person.
  • bring a letter from The Academy confirming that you are a student.
  • bring your passport.

To find your nearest NHS doctor or dentist look online. If you are here for longer than six months you may be able to use The National Health Service (NHS) which is free. Check http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/keeping_healthy.php#entitled_nhs.

Other places to see a Doctor; check at www.nhs.uk

  • Walk in centres (where you don’t have to be registered or have an appointment)
  • Accident & Emergency
Dental Services

To find an emergency dentist phone the

Dental Emergency Care Service
Tel: 020 8748 9365

or call into
Eastman Dental Hospital
Tel: 020 7915 1000
256 Gray’s Inn Rd, WC1;
Tube: King’s Cross.

YOUR SAFETY At the Academy

The Academy is here to make sure students, staff and visitors feel safe on school grounds. This is our policy;-

Health and Safety

  • You are provided with Health and Safety information on your first day and through signs throughout the premises.
  • Students and Staff must cooperate fully during fire drills at the Academy and follow any instructions given.
  • There is a fire notice in each room so make sure that you know where the nearest fire exit is.
  • If you are ill, for example with a temperature, you must inform the Academy that you have to stay at home. You will then need to go to the doctor and get an appropriate medical certificate.

The following are strictly prohibited on Academy premises:

  • Smoking
  • Taking, drinking or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Learning difficulties or General Disability

You should give written information of any disability or learning difficulty at student enrolment or staff application, so that any available assistance may be provided.


We value an atmosphere where no one is treated badly by others. Aggressive behaviour by staff or students based on the following will not be allowed at the Academy.

  • Sexuality
  • Race
  • Nationality
  • Any other reason

The Academy expects students to participate in classes and to treat teachers and other students with respect. Students should;

  • Follow any reasonable instructions given by staff
  • Use only the English language in lessons
  • Use mobile phones in classes for educational purposes only

Visiting, Working or Enrolment in the Academy indicates you agree to the rules of this policy.

Procedure for misconduct

If you do not follow these rules, any of the academic or administrative staff may ask you to leave the premises and before you return to your class, you will need to have a meeting with the Director of Studies. The Academy will assist you with any problems that you are having to help you to return your class.

If the matter is beyond discussion or behavioural issues continue, you will be asked to leave and your student enrolment will be terminated. No student fees will be refunded.

You can appeal against this decision, but the Managing Directors' decisions is final.

In London

London is safer than some cities in the world and more dangerous than others but it is a new city for you. You should always be careful, remember:

  • do not leave your windows or doors open as London has a lot of burglaries.
  • always hold on to your bags, Oyster cards and all personal possessions.
  • never carry a large amount of cash with you
  • in winter it gets dark very early (4.00 pm), and very cold.
  • avoid walking across parks or down dark streets at night alone.
  • look around when you withdraw your money from a Bank / ATM

If you see a crime or are in trouble and need some help then dial 999 and ask for the police.

Social Life and Licensing laws
  • NEVER leave your drink alone as someone may put something into it.
  • Some Pubs are NOT friendly for foreign students.
  • You must be over 18 to drink alcohol.
  • Drugs are illegal: DON’T TAKE THEM!
  • You cannot smoke in pubs/bars/clubs/coffee shops.
Cycling, Taxis and Driving
  • Cabs/Taxis – Be aware that some taxis/cabs have no licence. NEVER get into a taxi or cab which you are not sure about.
  • Please be careful if you rent a bike; you cannot ride on the pavement.
  • You need an international driving licence to drive in the U.K, look at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Mo... for more information.
British Police - Arrests

If you break any British laws you can be arrested. If you are arrested then the

Police MUST:

  • Tell you they are the police & provide evidence of them being police officers.
  • Tell you why you are being arrested.
  • Tell you that you are NOT free to leave.
  • Tell you that you have the right to tell someone that you have been arrested and where you are.
  • Tell you that you can speak to a solicitor.
  • Let you have food and use the toilet.
Legal problems

For free legal advice (on issues such as immigration, personal problems, consumer rights, legal problems, accommodation and employment) you can go to a CITIZENS’ ADVICE BUREAU (CAB).

200 Kilburn High Road

London NW6 4JD

Tel: 0845 050 5152


The Academy can help you find somewhere to live through the use of professional accommodation agents. Speak to reception staff for more information, or look at

http://www.britanniatravel.com... for Britannia Student Services on accommodation.

http://www.hosts-international... for Hosts International services on accommodation.

Different types of accommodation in London include:

1) Homestay

Is for students who want to live with a British family and speak English at home.
Homes are in Zones 2-5 and prices start from about £150 and higher per week.

2) Residence accommodation – Student Halls/Housing

  • Some student housing is available all year, check with agents.
  • In the university summer holidays (Jun-Sep) student halls are rented out in and around London.
  • This type of accommodation is popular and you need to book early. Prices can start from £150 and higher per week.
3) Hostels & Hotels

Hotels are generally more expensive than hostels. Hostels can be a fun way to meet other people if you are staying in London for a short time. Check our agent’s website for more information about good quality hostels & hotels. Prices vary depending on the location and quality.

You can try some of the following web sites:

4) Room/Flat/House Shares

Many people share flats & houses in London. Useful websites includegumtree.com http://www.gumtree.com/london/... which has flat/houseand room shares. Ask your classmates about their accommodation and look at the student notice board for more information.

Abbreviations: All mod cons -Modern conveniences, fridge, cooker etc. / Lrg – large/ Dbl – double / Bedsit – room with cooking facilities, shared bathroom / En-suite – own bathroom or shower / G.C.H – gas central heating / N/S – Non-Smoking / Dep. reqd. – deposit required / Refs reqd. – reference required / P.C.M

– per calendar month / P.W – per week.

Be Careful;
  • You usually have to give a security deposit (usually around one month’s rent in advance) which should be returned to you when you leave.
  • The landlord should give you details of a special bank account where your security deposit is kept.
  • You should make a list of everything in the flat before you move in to avoid paying for something later.
  • This is called an ‘Inventory checklist’.
  • The landlord may give you this and ask you to sign it.
  • Check if bills (gas, electricity, internet and Council Tax) are included in the price of the room.
  • It is cheaper to pay your bills by Direct Debit – ask your bank how to do this.
  • If anything is wrong in the flat, tell your landlord.



English Currency is British Pounds (£), £5, £10, £20 , £50 and pence (p) 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p 20p and 5p.

Bank Accounts
  • If you are staying in the UK for longer than 6 months you may be able to open a bank account.
  • The Academy can help you by providing a letter confirming your details for you to use at a bank.
  • You will need to check what documents you need to take to the bank with you.

Christianity is the main religion amongst British people, but there are also large communities of Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and Jews, and smaller communities of Buddhists and Jews. For more information look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/religion_and_ethics/.

Here are a few places to worship in London, for more look online;


Chinese Church In London, 81 Chiltern Street, W1M French Protestant Church, 9 Soho Square, W1V Hispanic Church, 39 Brendon Street, W1H

Russian Orthodox Cathedral, 66 Ennismore Gardens, SW7


Central Synagogue, 36 Hallam Street, W1N

New West End Synagogue, 10 St Petersburg Place, W9


London Central Mosque, 146 Park Road, NW8 Croydon Mosque, 525 London Road, CR7


London Fo Guang Temple, 84 Margaret Street, W1N

London Libraries

Visit www.londonlibraries.org.uk to find your nearest library. Public libraries in

London are free, open seven days a week and you can;

  • Often find books for people studying English as a foreign language.
  • Find magazines, newspapers and journals.
  • Find CDs, Videos, DVDs – to improve your listening skills.
  • Information about services such as doctors, dentists and hospitals.
  • Internet access -usually free to members. (book in advance).
  • Study areas -where you can study during the day.

If you want to borrow books, you will need to become a member by;
Completing a membership form, you will need:

  • Proof of your address (letter from school confirming your address).
  • Proof of your name and signature (passport).

You can also use our own library. We have a range of Graded Readers for all levels. Contact our reception for more information.